Welcome to the General Education (GE) and Student Engagement Teaching Commons
The purpose of this site is to share resources, ideas, and to make connections between universities and community colleges to help transform General Education Breadth transfer curriculum into a more integrative, relevant, and contextualized curriculum that explicitly prepares students to achieve the Essential Learning Outcomes developed through the Association of American Colleges and Universities.
New Paradigms and Pathways in GE
Give Students a Compass Culminating Conference
February 12th-14th, 2015
California State University, Sacramento
The culminating conference of the “Give Students a Compass” initiative
featured outstanding plenary speakers, posters on innovations in GE, and
interactive sessions to explore directions for the future.
- Watch the video premiere of "Innovations in GE: Preparing Students for the Future,"
- Read a draft of the "Lessons Learned and Recommendations for Action" for the "Give Students a Compass" initiative.
- Review the conference program including agenda and posters.
- Review the Plenary Address: "Reinventing GE For Student Transformation" by Randall Bass, Vice Provost for Education, Professor of English, Georgetown University.
- Review the Plenary Address: "Flipping the Script: Equity, Success, and Student Agency" by Tia Brown McNair, Senior Director for Student Success, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Student Success, Association of American Colleges and Universities.
- Review the Plenary Address "Student Transformation from Basic Skills to GE Pathways" and the case study by Diego Navarro, Founder & Instructor, Academy for College Excellence, Cabrollio College.
Students and faculty discuss making GE relevant at the March Compass meeting
About MERLOT and the CSU General Education and Student Engagement Teaching Commons
- Is a free, open educational resource dedicated to improving General Education that anyone can use.
- Provides a collaborative space, supported by an online community of educators to share best practices and exchange ideas and resources.
- Promotes the practical and tested use of student engagement strategies.
- Is based on The Carnegie Foundation's model of "teaching commons."
top of page
MERLOT Voices provides a FREE online communications network for faculty and administrators in the CSU and community colleges to share material and ideas, ask questions, connect with each other, report on progress, and much more in an easy to use online community. You can:
- Contribute to online discussions, blogs, or chats.
- Post, share, exchange, and comment on documents and videos that can help you be a more successful instructor or administrator.
- Get advice and information about general education and student engagement.
- Share successes, ask questions, contact colleagues, and pose problems and have your GE colleagues respond.
Subscribe to the General Education Community
Please join our growing membership for occasional updates about best practices in General Education by keeping your current email address on our subscription list. From your primary email address, follow this link to subscribe, leaving the subject and body of the email blank. (Directions to unsubscribe are at the bottom of each message.)